Sunday, March 4, 2018

Computational Biology Open Faculty Search Seminar Series

Dr. Xuebing Wu
MIT University
Research Profile

Decoding the noncoding messages in messenger RNAs

Tuesday, March 6
3:30 PM
RRI 101

Abstract: RNA plays central roles in transmitting and regulating genetic information. While the genetic code is simple and universal, the code controlling the spatiotemporal regulation of mRNAs remains poorly understood. My research aims to understand the fundamental mechanisms of gene regulation at the RNA level by using integrated computational and experimental approaches. I will highlight my recent work that has uncovered widespread roles of RNA secondary structures in regulating human mRNA biogenesis and metabolism. In addition, I will discuss my ongoing work on the translation of noncoding sequences in mRNAs and the systematic discovery of mRNAs with protein-independent functions.

No comments: