Current students from every PhD program at USC are eligible. The award is for exceptional achievement as a USC PhD student. The student’s overall profile as a doctoral candidate may include such elements as significant publications as the sole or primary author; job offers that signal the outstanding quality of the student’s doctoral work; major awards in a broadly conceived field; and other markers of excellence appropriate to the student’s field.
Departmental nominator (Linda Bazilian) will be asked to submit applications with the following information:
- A statement by the student describing her or his academic vision – what s/he has achieved and
hopes to achieve in terms of an academic contribution to the relevant field (up to 500 words)
- Documentation for publications, awards, job offers, other achievements
- A letter of nomination from the student’s academic advisor or other faculty member who can put the student’s work into the broader context of the given field
- A copy of the student’s most recent curriculum vitae and transcript
- Sign-offs from the department chair and dean of the school supporting the nomination.
- Contact and general academic information for the nominee and primary faculty advisor.
Submissions will be reviewed by an interdisciplinary faculty committee. Recipients of the USC PhD
Achievement Awards will be invited to lead the column of PhD graduates at the university
commencement on Friday, May 17, 2013.
The signature page is posted below this announcement on the grad blog.**